Highlight Museum - June 18, 2020
Kohl Children's Museum* includes 17 engaging permanent exhibits to inspire and respond to a child’s own creativity and imagination. With every visit families can explore and discover something new.
* Of course, as of today (06/18/2020) the museum is closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. When you're at the museum's HOME page, the COVID-19 message hides the main navigation. Just click the X in the top right of the orange COVID banner and you can better see the navigation.
Special exhibits are designed and developed by early childhood education experts, design professionals, and exhibit fabricators. The content is unique and features hands-on activities that foster the education of young children.
The Kohl Children's Museum website includes a helpful Teaching Resources page that provides parents with several resources for teaching and/or entertaining their children during the pandemic. This page includes links to STEAM Programs, Home Zone and Story Time – LOTS of things to do!
The museum also has a Facebook page with Story Times and Live events every week.
On the website's Exhibits page, you'll find information and links to the Permanent Exhibits, the Special Exhibits, and Current Exhibits (or exhibits that were current when the museum shut down for COVID-19 in March). There's also an interactive map (see image below) link and a printable map on this page.
Adventures in Art
All About Me
City on the Move
Hands On House
Powered by Nature
Ravinia Festival Music Makers
Sheridan's Books and Crannies
SpotHero Car Garage
Whole Foods Market
Here's some additional information about two of the permanent exhibits:
Hands On House
Roll up your sleeves and help construct a beautiful new house, both inside and out.
- Use wheels and pulleys to move materials
- Crank soft-sculpture rocks on a conveyor and drop them down a chute
- Choose stucco, wood, or brick panels to finish the exterior of the house
- Pretend to paint the house
- Shingle the roof
- Install wallpaper and carpet inside the house
- Pick up soft rocks using a digger
- Identify properties of objects: quantity, size, shape, weight, color, pattern, position, length, and width
- Operate simple machines
- Recognize, investigate, and solve a design problem
- Engage in cooperative play and problem solving
Whole Foods Market
Children run everything in this grocery store! Be a stocker, baker, cashier, or shopper in this simulated environment.
- Pick corn, apples and cucumbers at the farm and load onto a truck
- Receive produce from the farm on a conveyor belt
- Push a cart to shop through the food aisles
- Work at the deli
- Bake bread in the bakery
- Restock groceries on the shelves
- Arrange flowers at the flower stand
- Scan items at the checkout stand
- Use imagination and role-play
- Sort and classify objects by a variety of properties
- Count, add, and subtract
- Negotiate with other visitors
- Match healthy items to shopping list
KOHL KIDS LIVE
To accommodate children during the pandemic, Kohl Kids Live offers content through the museum's social media outlets. Each week, they explore one of the permanent exhibits interactively, offer story times, and have a Facebook live session to provide educational content. Here are links to the Kohl's social media channels:
Details: Location, Admission, Additional Features
2100 Patriot Boulevard
Glenview, IL 60026
By Car, Train, Bus and Taxi
Also nearby Hotels
Adults and Children: $14
Grandparents and Seniors (55+) $13
Infants under 12 months (Free)
Museum Hours (when re-opened)
Monday 9:30 am – 1:00 pm
Tuesday - Saturday 9:30 am – 5:00 pm
Sunday 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm