Children's Museum of Denver, Marsico Campus
The Children’s Museum of Denver, Marsico Campus is conducting a phased re-opening. You can read about their guidelines here.
“We believe in kid-powered learning. Every day, we work to open doors for our future leaders, innovators, and adventurers to explore, create and learn – on their own terms.
Our target ages are newborn through eight years old, but everyone can have a good time at the Museum! Our exhibits are hands-on, interactive and totally one-of-a-kind. Last year we served more than 610,000 children and their grown-ups.
The Children’s Museum of Denver at Marsico Campus is a 501(c)(3), private non-profit organization and a Tier II SCFD member.”
Take a Video Tour A GREAT Overview of the museum!
History of the
Children’s Museum of Denver
The Denver Children’s Museum first opened in a converted school bus in 1973. In no time, our need for a more permanent location was evident and we leased a renovated building on Bannock Street. Within months, the Museum was drawing record numbers of visitors, so we began planning for a larger facility. In 1984, we opened our new building in its present location along the west bank of the Platte River. In 2015, we went through a $16.1 million expansion, creating a 9-acre campus and doubling our exhibit space.
The Children’s Museum of Denver’s exhibits are divided into four categories:
Explore | Imagine | Investigate | Create
Each exhibit page gives the age range, whether the exhibit is “baby-friendly,” and photos and short descriptions of experiences in this exhibit. Below, we highlight one exhibit in each category and provide an image and short description.
Climb more than three stories to a glass-capped peak with amazing 360° views.
Discover the natural wonders of Colorado as you scale a towering mountain to the summit for the premiere lookout over Denver and the Rockies. Please note: You must be 40″ tall to climb Altitude. Under 40″ tall? Box Canyon exhibit is the one for you!
Other exhibits in the Explore area:
Adventure Forest (check the website; currently, it’s closed)
Center for the Young Child
- We love vibrant smiles and toothy grins! Pretend to be a dentist, the tooth fairy or practice brushing your teeth in front of the giant mirror.
- Healthy teeth are important! Practice brushing and good dental care to keep your smile sparkling clean.
- Check in patients and examine their teeth in a warm, inviting setting.
- Some things we eat and drink stick to our teeth more than others. See which are the hardest to get off an oversized tooth!
- Use blocks inspired by healthy teeth to construct fantastical towers.
- Kids and their families practice good dental care, including brushing, in front of a mirror.
Other exhibits in the Imagine area:
Fire Station No.1
Ready Vet Go
- Test theories behind flow, buoyancy, density and displacement, all while having a soakin’ good time.
- Make rain fall and thunder boom.
- Fill ‘er up and make water shoot high in the sky.
- Use water to make this kinetic sculpture spin.
- Use laminar jets to float and hold objects in the air.
- Build boats and dams, then send your boats down the river system.
- Paint with water
- You’re going to get wet! Bring towels, a change of clothes and extra socks.
Other exhibits in the Investigate area:
- Create with your own artistic style, discovered through clay, paint, wood and more in this dazzling studio.
- Direct your own film using our Stop Motion Studio. It’s showtime!
- Join the fun, and give a vintage VW a new coat of paint.
- Visit the clay studio for wheel demonstrations and glazing workshops. Then fire it up in the kiln.
- Choose an easel and a palette of paints, and let your artistic side take over. When your piece is dry, take it home to frame!
- Use your imagination to sketch your creation into our chalk window.
Other exhibits in the Create area:
Children’s Museum of Denver Social Media
Details: Location, Admission, Additional Features
2121 Children’s Museum Drive (see Denver map at the bottom of this page and the Directions link)
Denver, CO 80211
Free parking for guests and members when visiting the Children’s Museum. Event Day parking prices may vary. Parking for nearby attractions and Broncos games for a small fee.
By Car and Plane
Also nearby Hotels
Under Age One: Free
Age One: $12
Ages 2 – 59: $14
Seniors (60+): $12
Museum Hours (when re-opened)
Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri: 9 am – 4 pm
Wed: 9 am – 7 pm
Sat, Sun: 10 am – 5 pm
Free First Tuesday Nights
Free Play 4 – 8 pm